Car accidents happen every day in Washington. Do you know what to do if you are involved in one?
The aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming and chaotic. At the Law Offices of Magnuson Lowell P.S. in Redmond, we believe that the best way to keep yourself safe after a crash is to be informed and prepared. While we hope you are never involved in an accident, knowing what to do if you are is crucial.
- Call the police. Do not leave the scene of an accident, especially if someone was hurt. Instead, wait for the authorities to arrive. They will tell you when you can leave. Make sure to get the name of the responding officer.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Collect insurance information and contact information from the other driver involved in the crash.
- Do not apologize. It is natural to want to apologize after an auto accident, even if it wasn't your fault. Saying you're sorry, however, can be misconstrued as an admission of fault. Make sure the other driver is safe, but do not apologize.
- Take photos. If you are able to, take photos of the crash scene, damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle, and injuries you suffered. Photos can be used to support your personal injury claim.
- Talk to witnesses. If you know that passersby witnessed your accident, ask them for their names and contact information. Their statements may help determine fault in the crash.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don't think you were hurt, it is a good idea to see a doctor just in case. Sometimes injuries do not show up right away. It is best to establish a medical record as soon as possible in case you will need to file a personal injury claim.
- Call an attorney. If you or a loved one was injured in a crash, it is important to talk to a lawyer before you talk to your insurance company. Our attorneys can advise you about what to say to your insurance company and help you determine if filing a personal injury claim makes sense.
Discuss Your Accident In A Free Consultation
At our firm, your first consultation is free. In fact, we work on a contingency basis, so you won't pay anything out of pocket unless we recover compensation for you. To schedule a time to meet with one of our lawyers, please call us at 425-242-4021 or 888-312-9484 or contact us via email.