Protecting Interests of Both Spouses in Relation to Alimony

Divorce can have a huge personal and financial impact on both parties. In Washington, spousal maintenance (alimony) is sometimes offered to ease the financial strains of divorce for the less-moneyed spouse. Spousal maintenance can either be temporary or long-term. If you are seeking spousal maintenance or if you believe that you will be required to pay it, you should ensure that your financial interests are protected.

At the Law Office of Magnuson Lowell P.S., we represent clients in Redmond, Bellevue and the surrounding areas who are seeking or who may be required to pay alimony in divorce. To find out more about how alimony is calculated in Washington, contact us today.

Spousal Support Determinations in Washington

There are a number of factors considered by the court when determining spousal maintenance following divorce. It must first be established that the paying spouse has the ability to pay alimony, and that the less-moneyed spouse is in need of financial support post-divorce. Then, the amount of alimony awarded will depend on a number of factors:

  • Length of the marriage (alimony is rarely awarded in short-term marriages)
  • Financial stability of each spouse
  • Standard of living during marriage
  • Age and health of party seeking alimony
  • Earning capacity of party seeking alimony
  • Other factors

Alimony is not automatic, and is typically not awarded in every divorce. The alimony attorneys of Magnuson Lowell P.S. can help you understand your options for seeking spousal support. If your ex-spouse is seeking spousal support payments, our firm can help ensure that your financial interests are protected whether temporary or long-term alimony is being considered. Our law firm works as a team to protect your rights in divorce and family law matters.

Contact Us For Assistance With Spousal Maintenance Issues

To learn more about initial alimony determinations or spousal support modifications, contact our law office online to schedule an initial consultation. You may also call us at 425-242-4021 or 888-312-9484.