Magnuson Lowell PS
Call For A Free Phone Consultation

When your ex wants the children for the holidays

You and your ex-spouse spent the time drawing up a comprehensive parenting plan that covered such issues as drop-off arrangements, where the children go for school vacations and backup child care. It is your turn to have the children for an upcoming holiday, but now your ex wants them.

What are you to do?

Turn to the parenting plan

Your parenting plan should have a section that addresses how schedule changes should be brought up and decided. For example, perhaps a request to change a holiday arrangement should be put in at least a month before the holiday, and it will be discussed between the parties at the time.

Of course, these guidelines are not always followed.

Assess intention

Perhaps your ex pays child support diligently and found out only two weeks before Thanksgiving that his or her favorite sibling whom the children have not seen for years will be at the family holiday gathering, so you get only two weeks' notice. The intention, in this case, seems honest; no one is trying to purposefully take time away from you for the heck of it. Often, it pays to be as flexible and collaborative as possible. Who knows when you might need a favor in return?

As long as the request is not malicious and is made for a good reason, consider granting it. You can certainly ask for something in return--getting an extra holiday in the future, perhaps.

When requests are unfair

When requests are unfair, and they certainly can be, you are well within your rights to turn to the guidelines spelled out in the parenting plan and say something such as, "We agreed to give each other a month's notice for any schedule change requests." If there is a persistent history of unreasonable requests, you may feel more comfortable using your attorney to communicate with your ex (or with your ex's attorney). The reality is that some divorced people try to use their children to manipulate and punish an ex.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Magnuson Lowell PS

Law Offices of Magnuson Lowell P.S.
8201 164th Avenue NE, Suite 200
Redmond, WA 98052

Toll Free: 888-312-9484
Phone: 425-242-4021
Fax: 425-885-4119
Redmond Law Office Map

Duvall Office
15715 Main St. NE, Suite 201
Duvall, WA 98019

Duvall Law Office Map

Back To Top